Nicola Karcher is a historian and Associate Professor at the Østfold University College, Norway, where she is head of the research group PRIS (Politics, Religion, Ideology and Society in education). She is also NORFAS-coordinator. Karcher is affiliated with the Norwegian Center for Holocaust and Minority Studies, where she has been a researcher in the project Democratic institutions facing Nazi occupation: Norway in a comparative perspective, financed by the Norwegian Research Council. Karcher has published on the history of fascism, occupation history, history of education, antisemitism and racism, particularly with regard to the Nordic countries. She has authored a monograph on Norwegian Nazification policy and civilian resistance and co-edited the volume Movements and Ideas of the Extreme Right in Europe. Positions and Continuities.
- Interwar and occupation history
- Far-right movements, ideology and networks
- Anti-Semitism, the völkisch movement and racism
- History didactics
- Karcher, Nicola. 2021, forthcoming. “Willing Collaborators: The Political Activities of Norwegian National Socialists in Nazi Germany.” In Nicola Karcher and Markus Lundström, eds., Nordic Fascism: Fragments of an Entangled History. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Karcher, Nicola et al. 2020. “Navigating troubled waters: collaboration and resistance in state institutions in Nazi-occupied Norway.” Scandinavian Journal of History 46 (1): 84-104.
- Karcher, Nicola. 2019. “A National Socialist school for Norway: concepts of Nazification during the German occupation.” Paedagogica Historica – International Journal of the History of Education 56(5). 662-679.
- Karcher, Nicola. 2018. Kampen om skolen. Nazifiseringsfremstøt og lærernes motstand i det okkuperte Norge. Oslo: Dreyers forlag.
- Karcher, Nicola. 2014. “Victor Mogens – en lojal talsmann for Nazi-Tyskland?” In Øystein Sørensen et al., eds., Intellektuelle og det totalitære: Pervertert idealisme? Oslo: Dreyers forlag. 30-52.
- Karcher, Nicola. 2012. “Nasjonal Samling’s Foreign Office in Berlin during the Second World War: Organisation, Strategies and Cooperation.” In Nicola Karcher and Anders Kjøstved, eds., Movements and Ideas of the Extreme Right in Europa. Frankfurt/M.: Peter Lang Publishing House. 117-140.
- Karcher, Nicola. 2012. Zwischen Nationalsozialismus und nordischer Gesinnung. Eine Studie zu den rechtsgerichteten Verbindungen norwegisch-deutscher Milieus in der Zwischenkriegszeit. Ph.D.-thesis, University of Oslo.
- Karcher, Nicola. 2009. “Schirmorganisation der Nordischen Bewegung. Der Nordische Ring und seine Repräsentanten in Norwegen”. NORDEUROPAforum 1. 7-35.