Professor and Senior Researcher
Centre for Multidisciplenary Studes on Racism, Uppsala University, Sweden
Mattias Gardell is Nathan Söderblom Professor in Comparative Religion, and researcher at the Centre for Multidisciplinary Studies of Racism (CEMFOR) at Uppsala University. He is an award-winning international expert in the field of religion, politics, racism, and violence, and a leading scholar in areas such as fascism, black and white radical nationalism, white power culture, Islamophobia, political Islam, torture history, esoteric fascism, white nostalgia and the politics of memory, hate crime, and political violence. Gardell holds substantial experience in directing large research groups and building cross-disciplinary research environments. He was Director of Research at CEMFOR from 2017 to 2021, and served as Team leader and Steering Board member of the IMPACT of Religion: Challenges for Society, Law and Democracy, Linnaeus Centre of Excellence at Uppsala University, from 2008 to 2019, involving 95 researchers of various disciplines. The evaluation recognised IMPACT as “an excellent, vibrant and well-functioning center” with “innovative research”. Gardell has supervised a considerable number of PhD-students and led 15 externally funded postdoctoral research projects. He has published 11 peer-reviewed research monographs and more than a hundred chapters and articles. Gardell served as an expert witness in the trial against Anders Behring Breivik. He contributes to NORFAS with his skills as an ethnographer with three decades of fieldwork experience in radical nationalist and other hard-to-get-into milieus in the United States, the Nordic countries, continental Europe, and the MENA region.
- Religion and politics
- Radical nationalism
- Political violence
- Gardell, Mattias. 2021. Lone Wolf Race Warriors and White Genocide. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2021. “The Girl Who Was Chased by Fire: Violence and Passion in Contemporary Swedish Fascist Fiction”, Fascism. Journal of Comparative Fascism Studies 10(1): 186-201.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2021. “’The Radicalization of Western Man’: The Great Replacement, White Radical Nationalism, and Lone Wolf Violence”, Radicalisation in Comparative Perspective, Awan, Akil & James R Lewis, eds. Oxford: Oxford University Press. In print.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2019. “Pop-up Vigilantism and Fascist Patrols in Sweden.” In Tore Bjørgo and Miroslav Mareš, eds., Vigilantism against Migrants and Minorities. Abingdon: Routledge. 286-304.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2018. “Urban Terror: The Case of Lone Wolf Peter Mangs.” Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence 30 (5): 793-811.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2015. Raskrigaren. Seriemördaren Peter Mangs. Stockholm: Leopard.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2015. “What’s Love Got to Do with It? Ultranationalism, Islamophobia, and hate crime in Sweden.” Journal of Religion and Violence 3 (1).
- Gardell, Mattias. 2014. “Crusader Dreams: Oslo 22/7, Islamophobia, and the Quest for a Monocultural Europe.” Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2010. Islamofobi. Stockholm: Leopard.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2003. Gods of the Blood. White Separatism and the Pagan Revival. Duke University Press.