Mattias Gardell is Nathan Söderblom Professor in Comparative Religion and Director of Research at the Centre for Multidisciplinary Studies of Racism (CEMFOR) at Uppsala University, Sweden. He has been a visiting scholar at the Maxwell School at Syracuse University and has extensive experience of ethnographic studies on fascism in the United States and the Nordic countries. Gardell has published eleven peer-reviewed research monographs including Gods of the Blood (2003) and Lone Wolf Race Warriors (2021). In 2003, Gardell received the Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities Loubatska Award for Distinguished Research in the Humanities. He was one of the expert witnesses at the trial against Anders Behring Breivik. Gardell has led 16 research projects and is currently working on several issues related to fascism studies.
- Religion and politics
- Radical nationalism
- Political violence
- Gardell, Mattias. 2021. Lone Wolf Race Warriors and White Genocide. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2021. “The Girl Who Was Chased by Fire: Violence and Passion in Contemporary Swedish Fascist Fiction”, Fascism. Journal of Comparative Fascism Studies 10(1): 186-201.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2021. “’The Radicalization of Western Man’: The Great Replacement, White Radical Nationalism, and Lone Wolf Violence”, Radicalisation in Comparative Perspective, Awan, Akil & James R Lewis, eds. Oxford: Oxford University Press. In print.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2019. “Pop-up Vigilantism and Fascist Patrols in Sweden.” In Tore Bjørgo and Miroslav Mareš, eds., Vigilantism against Migrants and Minorities. Abingdon: Routledge. 286-304.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2018. “Urban Terror: The Case of Lone Wolf Peter Mangs.” Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence 30 (5): 793-811.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2015. Raskrigaren. Seriemördaren Peter Mangs. Stockholm: Leopard.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2015. “What’s Love Got to Do with It? Ultranationalism, Islamophobia, and hate crime in Sweden.” Journal of Religion and Violence 3 (1).
- Gardell, Mattias. 2014. “Crusader Dreams: Oslo 22/7, Islamophobia, and the Quest for a Monocultural Europe.” Journal of Terrorism and Political Violence.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2010. Islamofobi. Stockholm: Leopard.
- Gardell, Mattias. 2003. Gods of the Blood. White Separatism and the Pagan Revival. Duke University Press.